Blog Health Check: Assessing The Patient Prior To The 31DBBB Treatment

My blog needs a kick up the backside. Or perhaps I do.

Either way, I’ve decided to undertake the ’31 Days To Build A Better Blog’ course, written by Darren Rowse (the Problogger). I’m going to complete each task in sequence and record the results.

The patient that’s about to receive this injection of whoop ass is my main blog (the one that people actually read…). The site sets out to help recreational road cyclists improve their performance, and enjoyment, whilst on the bike.

The purpose of this series of blog posts is:

  1. To record the effects that taking the course have upon my blog, however they might manifest themselves; and
  2. To encourage me to see the course through to completion, undertaking each task in turn.

You can read more about why I am doing the course here.

In order to judge the impact of the course, we need to know the status of the blog currently. The aim of this post is to summarise exactly that.

Vital Statistics

My cycling blog is just over six months old. My first posts were published on 18 January 2013. The first visitors (according to Google Analytics) came on 21 January 2013 (all 11 of them – and probably mostly me).

Since then, I have written and published 51 posts. I don’t have the precise figures, but each post is generally between 800 and 2,000 words in length. I tend to post twice a week: once on Tuesday; once on Thursday.

My posts fall broadly into two camps: information/advice/’how to’; and personal cycling-related stories. Where possible, I’ve used the Google Keyword Tool to find the best keyword variant for a post, but my topics have not been driven by targeting particular keywords.

I use a free theme from Woothemes. There are very minimal adaptations (the odd font size here or there), which I have made myself.

I try to use at least one image in each post. The images are either photographs that I’ve taken myself (I’m not a great photographer) or pictures available under a creative commons licence (e.g. on Flickr).

In terms of ‘social’, I have sharing buttons on each post (Facebook, Twitter and Google+). I have set up a Facebook page for the blog and a dedicated Twitter account. For Google+, I use my personal account.

I encourage readers to sign up to my mailing list, in order to have each post sent to their email address. Initially I set this up through Feedburner but then switched to Mailchimp. Those who sign up do not currently get a freebie to entice them to part with their email address.

I have literally (like, today) added AdSense to the site. There is no other monetisation.

Promoting Dis Content

My attempts at blog promotion have been sporadic. Each post, as it is published, is automatically (via a plugin) shared on Facebook and Twitter. I then ‘+1’ the post manually using the button on that page.

Occasionally, when I’ve felt a post would be of interest to another blogger’s reader base, I’ve emailed or tweeted to see if they’d be prepared to share it. Back in late February, when I wrote a post that got particular traction and was shared by a large blog in my niche, I paid for some Facebook promotion as an experiment (the budget was around £25 / ~$40).

I’ve commented on maybe 5-10 blogs related to the niche. I’ve written one guest post. I’ve submitted my site to a few directories (the only one I can see as a link in Webmaster Tools is Technorati.com). I wrote one article, which was published on EzineArticles.com. I’ve participated in 4 or 5 relevant discussions on cycling forums.

Show Me The Numbers

So where has all this got me?

In total, as of 31 July 2013, I’ve had just over 22,000 visitors to the site (~18,500 uniques).

I made an error setting up the tracking for Google Analytics (an error which I’m convinced a lot of people don’t realise they’ve made). I had my tracking code appear in more than one place on the site (within the theme and an analytics plugin). As a result, pageviews and bounce rates were not being tracked properly.

I fixed the tracking problem at the beginning of May, so I’ll give the more detailed statistics for the period since then (they’re more relevant anyway).

Blog visitor statistics

As you can see, traffic has been growing week on week.

Rather unhelpfully (for the purpose of this exercise), the spike in traffic in recent days is a bit unusual. A lot of my content, including the post that I promoted originally on Facebook, concerns a cycling event that takes place this weekend. I rank highly for a few keywords relating to the event route and the hills that participants will have to climb. The past week has seen a lot of people searching for these terms. I would expect this activity to drop off once we get into August.

In an attempt to provide a useful benchmark, I’d estimate that my ‘steady state’ traffic currently is approximately 250 visitors per day.

Community Spirit

As I mentioned above, I’ve encouraged readers to subscribe to my mailing list. That list stands at 76 subscribers currently. The list open rate is 65.9% with a click rate of 25%.

The site’s Twitter feed has 173 followers. The Facebook page has 98 ‘Likes’.

Some of my readers are very engaged. I often get a few comments per post. The most popular post has had over 70 comments (although that number includes ‘Likes’ and ‘Retweets’ as well).

Conclusion

I’ve tried to give a detailed summary of the current state of my blog, before the treatment is administered.

With any luck, the changes I implement as a result of undertaking the 31 Days To Build A Better Blog course will have an effect. Hopefully the effects will be positive and we’ll be able to quantify them against the results that I’ve achieved to date.

Please do sign up to my mailing list to make sure you don’t miss any of the updates on my progress:


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *